menu   Home ELA Resources French Resources About Me  

Teacher-authors around the world: meet Lindy from South Africa!

Two weeks ago, I got a new series of posts started. I promised I would be back today to introduce you to another teacher-author.

This time around, I want you to meet another good friend of mine. Her name is Lindy and she's from South Africa.

 Lindy's TpT store
Click on the image to check out Lindy's TpT store

1. I know you're from South Africa, but could you tell us a bit about your city?
I’m from a coastal city called Port Elizabeth, it is also affectionately called the Friendly city and sometimes even the Windy city. It has an estimated population of 3 million people. We have incredible beaches and amazing wildlife minutes away from our house.

Rhinos, njalas, zebras, warthogs, oh my!
The famous surf spot, Super Tubes in Jeffreys Bay, is less than an hour’s drive away. Port Elizabeth falls within the Eastern Cape region which includes the birthplace and final resting place of President Nelson Mandela.

Hobie beach in Port Elizabeth





2.How different are schools now compared to the time you were a child? How diverse are the classrooms?
I actually teach in the primary school I attended as a child!

Lindy and her two daughters, Lilly (7) and Alexi (4)
Our schools have changed immensely since 1996. I grew up during Apartheid and only white children were allowed to attend my school since it was in a white area. As a child you don’t question your life, you accept it as it is. As an adult I shudder when I imagine what it must have been like for non-whites.

I now teach a wonderfully diverse group of students. I don’t see skin color, I see 10-year-olds with incredible potential!

3. By checking out your products, one would say you're a very "techy" kind of teacher. Would it be fair to describe you as such?
Yes, I am an absolute nerd. I love technology and would be totally lost teaching without it. It’s such a blessing to work in a school that has internet access and interactive whiteboards (this is not common at all in South Africa).


The year we introduced technology our test marks soared. Children need to use all their senses when they learn. I use integrated technology to promote active learning in all my lessons. 

4. In addition to classroom resources, you've also been creating beautiful clip art sets. How did that get started?
I absolutely love drawing. As a little girl I used to keep a drawing journal, creating all sorts of characters.

Drawings for an upcoming clip art set

My husband works in the IT field and suggested I try digitizing my drawings (I am always drawing pictures for my two daughters, our house looks like an art shop) and making them available on Teachers Pay Teachers and Teachers Notebook


I love creating clip art for the educational market. All my clip art sets are available in full color and black line (filled with white) as teachers ideally need both options. It gives me so much pleasure to see my drawings come to life in products other teachers create. There are so many talented teacher-authors!

5. Are there any specific tips you'd give to teachers from South Africa looking to sell and share their resources on TpT (or similar websites)? By the way, is TpT known there?
TPT is not as well known as in the States, but it is definitely growing in popularity. South African sellers need to be aware of American spelling and grammar. Curriculums differ between the two countries and it is important to check US Common Core Standards when developing products. Another technical difference to consider is paper size. South Africa uses A4 whereas the US uses Letter size.

6. The 2010 Soccer World Cup was in South Africa and the 2014 one starts tomorrow here in Brazil. Would you care to share any World Cup-related stories?
It was during the 2010 World Cup that my youngest daughter, Alexi, was born.

Lindy and Alexi

Our city was fortunate to be chosen as a host city and a state of the art stadium was constructed and named after President Nelson Mandela. There was a huge fan park across the road from the hospital and you could hear the vuvuzelas and the crowd go mad. It was such a festive time in our country!

Thank you, Lindy, for being my guest! It's always fun "talking" to you!

Now go check out Lindy's neatly organized Pinterest boards, or chat with her on Facebook or G+!

Don't forget to follow my blog to be the first to read my next interview with a teacher-author around the  world!

READ: Teacher-authors around the world: meet Rosie from New Zealand!


READ: Teacher-authors around the world: meet Lisa from Scotland!


READ: Teacher-authors around the world: meet Catia from Portugal!


Thanks for stopping by!

29 comments:

  1. Loved reading about Lindy and how different things are in South Africa. I could not imagine having wild zebras minutes from my home! What a beautiful place to live. I really enjoyed getting to read about her. (Great idea, Lucy….looking forward to your next interview!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the reading because I had a great time writing it :D
      I love getting to know other teachers. That's the best thing of blogging!
      Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Hey Lucy, thanks for the opportunity! I love this series and I'm so curious to see who is next on your list. Enjoy the world cup!! :D Lindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lindy, for everything!
      The cup has gotten off to a great start :D

      Delete
  3. Loved reading about Lindy! Thanks for sharing her amazing work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her work is amazing indeed!
      Thank you for stopping by :)

      Delete
  4. Lindy,

    I'm very jealous of your amazing local wildlife - how fantastic that must be for your children and students!

    Great series Lucy!

    OkinawanGirl Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see all those animals in the wild too!

      Thank you for reading, Lisa :)

      Delete
  5. Great article about Lindy! She has such a cute style of graphic design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you liked it! Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
  6. What an excellent idea for a series! I loved reading about Lindy and the life of a teacher in South Africa. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the idea, Susan!
      Stay tuned for more interviews with teacher-authors around the world :D
      Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. Lucy- I love this! I loved reading about Lindy and learning about her life in South Africa. Thanks so much for putting this amazing series together!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so sweet, Laura!
      Thanks for your constant support :)

      Delete
  8. What a great idea for a series of blog posts, and Lindy, it was fascinating to read about you and your life in South Africa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always curious to see how other teachers live and teach in countries other than my own.
      I'm glad you've found it interesting too!

      Delete
  9. Love this clever series idea! It was interesting to read about how different life and teaching is there compared to the US. I've never thought of visiting South Africa, but Lindy has peaked my curiosity.
    :) Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you ever travel to South Africa, don't forget to share some pictures with us :D
      Thank you for reading!

      Delete
  10. This was awesome! Now I need to go read the Rosie post and see if she lives near my sister in New Zealand!
    ~Heather
    The Meek Moose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know your sister lived in New Zealand!
      That would be fun if she lived near Rosie :D

      Delete
  11. Super interesting! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great read! We have a quite large population of South African children in the school I teach at (plus some Teachers!) so it was lovely to read a little more about their home country :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it great how the whole world is becoming one thing, with people from all over the world everywhere? :)

      Delete
  13. Wow--how cool to see what's happening on the other side of the world. Lindy, your story is amazing--what a change you've seen your country go through. Thanks for sharing Can't wait to hear about more teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loved reading this!! I am so curious about other parts of the world.

    - Katy
    First Grade Kate

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fun post! It was interesting to read about Lindy's life in South Africa. I can hardly imagine living so close to African wild animals! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great idea for blog posts! I found this post through a discussion forum on TPT. I can't wait to see the next interview. Thanks!

    ~Jennifer

    ReplyDelete