menu   Home ELA Resources French Resources About Me  

Reflexive Pronouns Anchor Chart - Anchors Away Monday Linky and a freebie!

It's been a while since I last posted an anchor chart so here I am today with one for reflexive pronouns. I just love teaching reflexive pronouns! What about you?

 Reflexive Pronouns Anchor Chart

As you can see, I've hacked this anchor chart. I can draw, but certainly not as well as Mel (Graphics from Pond). I was lucky to win her August giveaway and I'm already putting my prize into use.

I guess students sometimes find it hard to tell when they should be using a reflexive pronoun. It's harder if they don't really know what subjects and objects are. If they do, the best explanation is to say that they should use reflexive pronouns when the subject and the object of a verb are the same. In other words, the one doing the action is also the one being "affected" by that action.

"Mary cut herself while cooking" means that "Mary cut Mary" and not anybody else. Sounds weird, but that's the best way I've found to make my students understand.

However, you know very well that this is only one of the ways reflexive pronouns are used. There is, for instance, the emphatic use.

"Mary herself prepared dinner" is not about the subject and the object being the same. "Herself" is used to emphasize that Mary was the one making the dinner. Why the emphasis? Maybe Mary is not known for being a cook.

There's also the use of reflexive pronouns with the preposition "by" to mean "alone" as in "Mary hates to go to the movies by herself".

Now, I've got two resources to help you teach reflexive pronouns and I know that those working with the Common Core have a standard just for reflexive pronouns, the 2.L.1c.

One is a Free Reflexive Pronouns Poster, similar to the anchor chart above, that you can download by clicking on the image below:

 Free Reflexive Pronouns Poster Color and B&W
click to download a FREE poster in color and B&W

The other is my Reflexive Pronouns Scoot, which actually includes 2 sets of 32 task cards. Here's what a buyer has said:

"This is great! I used the tougher ones whole group and the simpler ones for the actual game. Thanks!"

And by game, the buyer meant Scoot - one of the many ways you can use task cards.


 Reflexive Pronouns Scoot - 2 sets of 32 task cards
click on the image to check it out on TpT

Finally, I'm linking up with Deb at Crafting Connections and her Anchors Away Monday linky. Click on the image below to check it out and maybe link up as well or at least discover more anchor charts!

 Anchors Away Monday linky


But, before you go, don't forget to leave me a comment. I love to read what you guys think!

 photo HeresanideaNewsletterSignUpImage_zps2a64346e.png

Thanks for stopping by!

5 comments:

  1. This anchor chart is SO COOL and informative! (I already pinned the anchor chart and the freebie!) I think this chart would make the topic of reflexive pronouns "click" with students. Thank you for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really glad you liked the chart! I've always enjoyed creating visual explanations for students.
      Thanks for stopping by and for the linky!

      Delete
  2. Is the anchor chart still available? The page opened up and it said "File Not Found"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to use the anchor chart, but it says the file was not found when I try to download it.

    ReplyDelete